Ldap and rids

Inge-Håvard Hunstad inge at cc.uit.no
Mon Sep 27 19:24:07 GMT 1999

Hi

I have a question about converting a smbpasswd file containing 900 users
to LDAPs ldif format. The problem is that there is no rid in the
smbpasswd file. So my question is how do I genererate a rid for each
user? I have tried rpcclient it only returns the machine accounts and
only a few of the users. My PDC is running cvs ver dated 12.05.1999 and
readhat ver 6.0 with kernel 2.2.12 but samba is compiled on a machine
running Redhat 5.2. I saw there where some troubles with Redhats group
handling and I suspects that this is what's causing me troubles when I
try to enumerate the users on the PDC.

Why don't users with a the grouprid set in ldap show up in their primary
group in UserManager for Domains? Do I have to add every user to their
primary group too. It seems like a litte bit overkill to have the group
of a user set many places. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have to
warn you I have no experiece with NT server so I can't tell how it looks
there.

I hope you understand my questions.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Inge-Håvard Hunstad

PS. Thanks for all the the help I've got when setting up the Samba
server.