NT printing

Jean Francois Micouleau Jean-Francois.Micouleau at dalalu.fr
Wed Sep 22 10:26:33 GMT 1999

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk wrote:

> I browsed the server, opened the printers folder and used "Add Printer"
> then when prompted "Have disk" and loaded the drivers from the CD on
> my workstation (NT4/SP5). (Make a print$ share to hold the drivers)
> The files were created by samba. Can make
> changes to forms etc. from workstation.
>
> (Get multiple entries for forms in the ntforms.def file but a simple
> sort -u removes the duplicates.

this a bug ^H^H^Hfeature of NT. I'll make a workaround on samba.

> 1/ Spoolss on thee workstation crashes out when you add printer. ( But
> seems to get to the end of add printer process OK. restarting spoolss
> works and printer is seen.

yes. I know how to fix it, just need to do it.

> 2/ the print queue display code is not there yet apparently so the queue
> display does not refresh.

true. but you can force refresh in the view menu.

> 3/ Found the NT printing unworkable at the moment but interesting :)
> It is experimental code after all and a priviledge to play with it.

it works with some printers. As soon as 1/ is fixed it'll work better.

there are some others bugs. I know how to fix them, I just need some free
time to fix them.

> The 2.0.5 mainline code I found works well with printers as LANMAN connections and
> by creating a print$ share I can download drivers from the server (though
> not automatically...anyone done this?)

you can't. Using LANMAN connections is like using WIN95/98 as a print
server.

	Jean Francois