Strange Roaming profile problem

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de
Tue Sep 21 17:19:57 GMT 1999

Norman Weathers wrote:

>"Carlos Eduardo P. Guidugli" wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have a strange problem. I have a pdc running Windows NT 4.0 + SP5 + IE5,
>> a fileserver running Debian 2.1 + Samba 2.0.5a and clients running Win
>> NT4.0 + SP5 + IE5.
>>
>> Samba acts like a server into the nt domain (security = domain). I have a
>> dir named Profiles with root as owner and users as group and permissions
>> 0770
>
> we have a similar problem on our system.  We have a RedHat 6.0 server,
> kernel 2.2.10 and samba 2.0.5a.  We have a few NT4.0 SP5 machines with
> IE5 laying around.  We had been logging into the profiles directory
> in a "not to nice" way (we didn't have the profiles separated out from
> the home directory).  We moved the profiles directories to their own
> shares, and now all of the sudden, we find out the these updated systems
> don't use the roaming profiles correctly.  When I have people at their
> "own" system, everything works, but when they move to another system,
> nothing gets pulled in right into the new system.  The backgrounds are
> all wrong and the links are all bad.  When we checked the profiles
> directory, we noticed that they weren't being updated, even though
> by watching smbclient, we can see where the user's profile directory
> is being attatched.  I am beginning to wonder if there is something
> that Microsoft has done to the SP5 release (as usual) or with IE5
> even that has caused some problems.  Anyone else tackled something
> like this?

Having similar Problems. Some of them user related.

If logging into an other WinNT workstation NT may "detects a slow link"
then asking if it should download the profile or use the local one. Using
the local one is default. Thus if the user hits return he gets, if never
logged on to this workstation, the workstation default profile!

I am searching for registry entries making NT load the profile from the
server regardless of link speed without displaying this dialog at all or
making the "remote" button the default (but would prefer not having that
dialog at all - not granting user access if no profile available).

This problem isn't related to Samba nor NT-Server. Some of my users have
profiles on Samba some on a NT-Server. It is only related to the fact
that the logon server isn't automatically the profile server. If it is,
all is well, if not messy things happen.

With Win9x the same problems arose. In addition that sometimes Win9x doesn't
recognize the end of the logon-script. You have to cancel script execution.

While I didn't had the time to track the problem further, I think it's on the
client side.

--
ThomasFrom nunes at mozart.ulbra.tche.br Tue Sep 21 17:22:17 1999