Samba-PDC and Samba-2.0 setup on the same machine.

Matthias Klose doko at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 21 10:22:48 GMT 1999

I tried to summarize this setup in a FAQ entry [attached]; suggestions for
improvements and clarifications are welcome.

However I do have some questions with this setup:

- The machine has a second network card. How do I get the samba-pdc
  server listen on the second physical interface. When adding the
  interface to the interfaces parameter, then the samba-pdc listens on
  all interfaces and I see the browse list of the samba-pdc on the
  interface, where the samba-20 should listen only.
  Do I have to setup a third server or can one of the servers listen
  on exactly two socket addresses?

- The samba-pdc (Linux, UTC) acts as a time server; although I set the
  time offset to 60, the NT clients (net time \\samba-pdc) show the UTC
  time.

- On the clients I can view the file permissions for the share
  exported by the samba-20 server. I am allowed to change permissions,
  but they don't change on the server. Do I miss something?

- Which of the shares exported by the samba-pdc now can I move to the
  samba-20 server? (homes, netlogon, profiles ?)

Thanks for your help.

	Matthias

Howto setup a Samba PDC and a Samba 2.0 server on the same machine

This setup describes an setup of a Samba-2.0 and a Samba-2.1prealpha
server both running on the same machine; it works for me on a Debian
GNU/Linux machine. I got input from Gerald Carter, some things still
are not clear for me and I would like to incorporate your input into
this HOWTO.

Installing samba and samba-pdc
------------------------------

First samba-20 (2.0.x) and samba-pdc (2.1prealpha) must be configured
and setup, such that the installation does not overlap. You must have
separate files for:

	smbd
	nmbd
	smbpasswd (not sure)
	smb.conf
	smbpasswd (I symlinked it)
	/var/samba directory

If you are using a Debian GNU/Linux system, you can fetch the
samba-pdc and samba-pdc-common packages from http://master.debian.org/~doko
for this setup.

Network setup
-------------

Each server has to listen on it's own network interface. One of the
addresses can be a virtual interface address.

For the following descriptions I assume that the samba-pdc listens on
the primary network interface 192.168.10.1; the samba-20 listens on
the network interface 192.168.11.1, which is created (on Linux) with:

ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.11.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.11.255
route add -net 192.168.11.0

Samba configuration files
-------------------------

The two configuration files must have separate netbios names, lock
directories and log files. They can share the same passwd file and the
same domain.

For further information how to add the samba-20 machine to the domain,
please see the NT domain FAQ.

Configuration of samba-pdc:

[global]
   workgroup = DOMAIN
   socket address = 192.168.10.1
   server string = Samba %v
   netbios name = foo-pdc
   hosts allow = 192.168.10. 192.168.11. 127.
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   interfaces = 192.168.10.1/24   #192.168.1.10/24
   local master = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   wins support = yes
   time offset = 60
   time server = true

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   share modes = no
   # see http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/page4.html#4-4-1
   locking = no
   public = no
   browseable = yes

[profiles]
   path = /var/local/samba/profiles
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   guest ok = yes

Configuration of samba-20:

[global]
   workgroup = DOMAIN
   socket address = 192.168.11.1
   server string = Samba %v on %h
   netbios name = foo-20
   hosts allow = 192.168.10. 192.168.11. 127.
   security = domain
   encrypt passwords = yes
   interfaces = 192.168.11.1/24
   local master = no
   os level = 64
   wins server = 192.168.10.1

[test]
   comment = Test Share (exported by samba-20)
   path = /home/tst
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no