machine passwd

peter pilsl pilsl at goldfisch.atat.at
Fri Sep 17 21:13:33 GMT 1999

On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 04:17:23PM -0400, Sebastien Corriveau wrote:
> peter pilsl wrote:

> > > Yes and no. NT PDC negociate a new computeraccount password every 7 days
> > > with all NT domain members. However, if the workstation is not accessible
> > > the password will not be changed and the laptop (in your exemple) will still
> > > be able to connect with the PDC the next time.
> > >

> > hmm, I dont understand this at all. my origin question was about a error in the clients eventlog. so it seems that nt-client tried to
> > change its machinepasswd on serverside and samba-PDC rejected it.
> > but you are writing about a NT-PDC that initiates a passwd change with its client. thats the opposite way.
> >
> > peter
>
> I really think this process is initiated by the PDC (your Samba-PDC) but
> that's not important here (you just want it to work as supposed).
>
> First of all, samba 2.0.5a support the "machine account password updates" so
> it should work.
>
>   see: http://ca.samba.org/samba/docs/ntdom_faq/page1.html
>
> Now, it would be great if you could just give me more info (is it a new
> setup; do you have the same on all client, how often you get this message,
> etc).

I maintain two samba-domain-server. one is a new setup (two month) and one is a older setup (one year).
These two setups are very similar but are not connected in any way. And on both machines this error occures very occasionally on all
clients.
I dont care much about that error at all. the servers work and so I dont have any problems.
I just dont get into my mind why the error is in the clients-log when the server is initiating the process and fails.

peter

mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43/(0)/6763574035
fax  : +43/(0)/6763546512