machine passwd

tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de
Fri Sep 17 13:22:56 GMT 1999

Sebastien Corriveau wrote:

> "Wingate, Steve [IBM NON J&J]" wrote:
>>
>> I read an article in a recent Windows NT magazine stating that computers
>> change their own domain computeraccount password every 7 days. Disconnecting
>> a machine (laptop user for example) from the domain for longer than this
>> period can cause login errors. I can't recall the exact error but something
>> along the lines of 'computer trust account being broken or no longer
>> established'.
>
> Yes and no. NT PDC negotiate a new computeraccount password every 7 days
> with all NT domain members. However, if the workstation is not accessible
> the password will not be changed and the laptop (in your example) will still
> be able to connect with the PDC the next time.

This is the way NT does it. If password negotiation fails it will be done next
time you connect to the lan. But there was an error in one of M$ hotfixes
causing the PDC to change the password nevertheless. Rendering it impossible
to logon, until an admin put your box back into the domain. This shouldn't be
seen anymore since SP #3 as far as i know.

--
ThomasFrom tschweikle at FIDUCIA.de Fri Sep 17 13:23:40 1999
	"        -         *Samba-Ntdom at Samba.Org" <Samba-Ntdom at Samba.Org>