Can Samba scale with NT_Terminal_Server? (was: Samba and WinTS / WinDD)

Charles N. Owens owensc at enc.edu
Thu Sep 16 14:18:30 GMT 1999

I'm wondering if the unique (?) way NT Terminal Server (NT_TS) connects
to Samba is a problem.  Samba seems to spawn a separate process per
connecting client.  With "normal" single-user stations (Win3.x, Win9x,
WinNT), this results in a process per user.  But with NT_TS (and other
related Citrix derivatives) we have many users coming from a single
client machine, all of which get handled by a _single_ Samba process
(one per NT_TS server box).  It is not unreasonable to expect that there
may then be 50 to 150 users being handled by a single Samba process
(depending on the horsepower of the NT_TS server).

This difference (many users per Samba process vs. one) seems like it
could be a big deal to me.  Is Samba known to be able to properly handle
the many-user case with as many users as I describe above?  Was it at
least _designed_ to be able to do so?

A separate question is whether or not NT_TS talks to a PDC any
differently than with plain NT.  Something is making our NT_TS boxes
unstable (beyond what's expected given their pedigree ;-).  It seems to
be related to their being involved with a Samba PDC or with their trying
to relatively heavy file sharing via Samba (or possibly both).

I'd be most appreciative if anyone had any experiences to share to
suggest the best way to proceed.  What's the best way to trouble-shoot
this?

We've been running multiple pilot installations of NT_TS + Citrix
Metaframe [v1.8] with varying results.  Here's what we have:

[In all cases user apps are Netscape 4.61, Office 97, Eudora 4.x,
installed on local NT_TS drives.  All servers have Service Pack 4 plus a
number of fixes we've squeezed out of Microsoft and Citrix.]