Password syncing

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 9 17:14:53 GMT 1999

I have a couple of questions about password syncing:

(1) The smb.conf man pages say that if unix password sync is set to True,
then smbpasswd should fail to change the SMB password if it fails to
change the Unix password.  Yet I can set "passwd program" to
"/usr/bin/arbitrary", keep the same "passwd chat", and it still plows
right along and changes the SMB password without touching the Unix
password.  Does anyone know if this is normal?

(2) When I run smbpasswd, I get a message that says there is an attempted
connection on port 445 that is refused.  Is it smbd that is refusing it,
or should I check the restrictions on my ports?  Does it matter?

(3) Does anyone have a working password chat script for DEC Unix 4.0B?

I am using the 2.10 prealpha from the Head branch as of yesterday,
running on DEC Unix 4.0B.  Below is the relevant part of my smb.conf file.

Thanks for any help,
Tavis

[global]
   workgroup=ISETR
   server string=Server for ISETR

; LOGONS

   guest account = nobody
   domain logons = yes
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   unix password sync = True
   passwd program = /usr/bin/arbitrary %u
   passwd chat = *password: %n\n *password: %n\n *updated* .
   passwd chat debug = yes
   null passwords = true
   logon script = %U.bat
   logon drive = l:

; BROWSING

   domain master = yes
   os level = 100
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   preferred master = yes
   local master = yes

; PRINTING

   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

; LOGS

   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
   debug level = 3

; OTHER SETTINGS

   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes
   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes