Saving Profiles

Burt Avery ba2k at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 9 12:07:53 GMT 1999

This mailing may be off the topic to some degree since I am fairly certain
it is a Microsoft problem, not a Samba issue.

We are running 2.0.5a on an AIX 4.2.1 OS; experiencing failure of profiles
to be saved into the designated directory from 95 OSR2 systems. The user
registry file USER.DAT is saved but the profile files are not. WIN 98 has
no problem saving profiles. User profiles are enabled on the client side,
domain logon is required, user level security is in effect, using MS
networking client.

Microsoft has an article Q198035 where they admit that the problem is
caused by mprserv.dll, which, if you follow the reports on mprserv.dll, has
a very checkered past ... fix upon fix upon fix. Unfortunately, Q198035
does not provide a way of getting the working version, mprserv.dll, v
4.00.961. An earlier version 4.00.955, which is part of secupd2.exe, has
been applied but it has the same problem.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can find a v 4.00.961. I have looked
for three days with no luck. Philosophically, paying Microsoft for a tech
support call to resolve their problem is not in the realm of consideration.

Thanks,
-ba-

Burt Avery
Computer Systems Engineer