Browsing Problems (Vanishing PCs & Workgroups from NetHood)

Shaun McCullagh sm at sys.uea.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 18:00:05 GMT 1999

Hi,

PCs keep disappearing from one of our workgroups (SYS-STAFF) and PCs in
SYS-STAFF
frequently cannot see other workgroups. PCs in other workgroups are
frequently
unable to browse SYS-STAFF, even though TCP/IP connectivity works fine
all the time.

I've got Samba 2.0.5a running under Solaris 2.7 which is configured to
be browse master
for SYS-STAFF. Samba is running on a very lightly loaded Sun Ultra 10.

Excerpt from my smb.conf:

   os level = 65
   domain master = no
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = no

When nmbd is restarted it reports that it is the Master Browser for
SYS-STAFF
but then nmbd frequently reports it cannot contact browse master for
SYS-STAFF
a few hours later.

Sometimes an entry like this occurs ( from a Linux box running Samba
2.0.3)

>[1999/09/03 18:32:34, 1] nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_reset_browser(710)
>  process_reset_browser: received diagnostic browser reset request from RWHLTPC<00> IP > >>139.222.4.103 state=0x2

I've stopped samba on this machine pro tem.

Any ideas? I'm getting a bit desperate :(

TIA

Shaun

Shaun McCullagh IT Support Officer         Email: sm at sys.uea.ac.uk
School of Information Systems.,            Tel +44 1603 592307
University of East Anglia,                 FAX +44 1603 507720
Norwich England NR4 7TJ            All views expressed are my own.