Bug: NetWare client kills samba password changing

Stephen Brandon sbrandon at music.gla.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 11:06:29 GMT 1999

Hi,

I have finally identified the reason why I cannot change passwords on my
samba server, head branch, from WinNT SP4.

I have the latest (4.6) version of the Netware client. My primary login
is to the samba domain ("login to workstation only"), then my startup
script pulls up the netware login panel for further authentication.

Netware has its own ctl-alt-del password changer. This refuses to change
samba passwords. I just tried on a machine WITHOUT NetWare and it was
happy to change the exact same password for the exact same user on the
domain.

This is a really big problem to our network. If I cannot find a
workaround very quickly I am going to have to move to NT Server...

I am wondering if the cause of the problem is the dates specified for
password changing, and different interpretations of these by Netware.

For example, if I use rpcclient and look at the samuser for one of my
users, I get the following:

Logon Time               :      Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 GMT
Logoff Time              :      Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 GMT
Kickoff Time             :      Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 GMT
Password last set Time   :      Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 GMT
Password can change Time :      Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 GMT
Password must change Time:      Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 GMT

Obviously zero fields, but is there a chance that Netware thinks that
"must change time" must be in the future, or something like that?

Anyway, I log this as a bug, and any advice/hints very welcome.

Stephen Brandon