"map to guest" parameter

Stephen Waters swaters at amicus.com
Wed Oct 20 19:53:52 GMT 1999

samba defaults to "never" which the developers believe is a good idea.
however, i believe the default for NT4 is "Bad Password". would it not
make more sense to make the default the same as NT4 as most of the other
options do?

in our case, we had a user at home with a direct ISDN connection into
the office. he logs into his computer with a different password than the
domain passwd here at work. with WINS set up properly, he could use
"find computer" to find all the computers at the office except the samba
box. it just wouldn't show itself. so after some experimentation, we
found the "map to guest" parameter to be at fault.

default as 'Never':
1) non-domain user cannot see samba
2) domain user, wrong passwd cannot see samba
3) domain user, correct passwd can see samba, access shares

'Bad User':
1) non-domain user sees samba, prompted for passwd on share access
2) domain user, wrong passwd cannot see samba
3) domain user, correct passwd can see samba, access shares

'Bad Password':
1) non-domain user sees samba, prompted for passwd on share access
2) domain user, wrong passwd sees samba, prompted for passwd on share
access
3) domain user, correct passwd sees samba, access shares

"bad password" seems to be the type that all the windows boxen on the
network are using b/c our home user can see them all, including our NT4
servers. so, i would propose that the default be set to "bad password"
though "never" would be the recommended option for admins that do not
need samba to look like NT4 server or who don't get repeated phone calls
and emails about not being able to see the server. :)

--
stephen waters
internal sysadmin