Logging in with Win95/98

Matthew Sachs matthewg at zevils.com
Wed Oct 20 04:23:50 GMT 1999

I'm attempting to log in to a Samba PDC with a Win98 client (also tried
Win95.)  Regardless of the username/password I enter, I get an "Invalid
parameter" error and am forced to hit cancel to bypass the logon dialog.

I'm using the latest HEAD branch from CVS (checked out 1999-10-20 at
~10:00EST).  I believe that I have followed all the instructions in the
FAQ.  The server is running Linux 2.2.12 (Debian Potato). Domain
parameters from smb.conf [global]:

	domain logons = yes
	domain group map = /etc/samba/domaingroup.map
	domain user map = /etc/samba/domainuser.map
	logon drive = p:
	logon path = \\finklestein\profiles\%U
	logon script = logon.bat

Finklestein is the SAMBA server.  I have logs at debuglevel 30 and the
output of tcpdump-smb from an attempt by the a user on client node3 to log
on to the domain.  node3 runs Windows 98.  The NMB and tcpdump logs are
really long, and I'm not sure what's relevant and what's not, so they've
been left unaltered.  The SMB log is small.  Either way, it's a 27k
tarball and 435k(!!) uncompressed.  The tarball containing log.smb,
log.nmb, and log.tcpdump (from tcpdump-smb -p host node3) is attached.

Matthew Sachs		matthewg at zevils.com
GPG key: 0x600A0342	PGP key: 0x93EA1151