Logon script generation problem

Kevin Myer kevin_myer at elanco.k12.pa.us
Tue Oct 19 14:34:17 GMT 1999

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Kevin Myer wrote:

> Please disregard my earlier message.  As is usually the case, I found the
> answer shortly after I sent my earlier message.  Apologies for cluttering
> the list.
>
> Kevin

I should have included the solution, as a number of you have asked for
that.  Kudos to Juergen Bock <jrb at fluent.de> for emailing me the proper
choice just about the same time I discovered page 85 of "Learning Perl"
from O'Reilly.

Juergen's solution was to use the =~ operator to do regexp matching on the
$ARGV[0] variable, something like:

if ($ARGV[0] =~ /patron/i)
{blah}

The "i" at the end matches all cases (like grep -i does in UNIX).  In the
interest of keeping things a bit cleaner, I did an all lower case
translation at the very beginning of my script so that I don't end up with
scripts like "CirCuLatioN.bat".

Thanks for the response Juergen and I think there must be some law
somewhere that says "9 times out of 10, a few seconds after you post a
question to a listserv, you will find the answer in a book or online
somewhere."

Kevin

--
     ~        Kevin M. Myer