Corporate Reactions to Linux (fwd)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Oct 19 11:36:29 GMT 1999

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Fredrik Norrman wrote:

> > you may be thinking of preferred master browser parameter,
> > which defaults
> > to "auto".  this is different.
> >
> > this should ONLY be set on ONE system per
> > broadcast-isolated-subnet, where
> > one system is any network-neighbourhood-aware system
> > INCLUDING samba and
> > INCLUDING w9x.
> >
> > if you set PBM=yes then that system will _actively_ attempt,
> > constantly,
> > to become the LMB.
>
> Could that be why I have seen constant elections for browse
> masters on my local segment?

yep!

> Would that be the result from having two or more W95/98 boxes
> with this option enabled?

as i said, _any_ two or more of the various browser-capable system with
PBM (or equiv) set will result in constant election traffic for the LMB,
on that broadcast-isolated subnet.

so, yes: two or more w/95 boxes fits with this.  or one w9x plus one NT.
or one NT plus one samba.  or two samba.  or two nt.  or one w9x plus one
NT plus one samba (to belabour a point :-) etc, you do the math.

> Any option in Samba that would cause similar results/problems?

yes.  preferred master = yes.