Corporate Reactions to Linux (fwd)

Mike Black mblack at csihq.com
Tue Oct 12 11:28:14 GMT 1999

Isn't it possible to query the name first to see if it's registered already
and add a "-force" flag to the startup with a BIG warning?  Could the arp
cache help?

And, since SAMBA is TCP/IP based can't we do a lookup and see if the name
matches our IP address?  If this didn't match we should refuse to startup
(or maybe provide another force flag).

This would prevent the stupid mistake.  Default conditions should be
conservative to prevent dangerous behaviour.
Michael D. Black   Principal Engineer
mblack at csi.cc  407-676-2923,x203
http://www.csi.cc  Computer Science Innovations
http://www.csi.cc/~mike  My home page