SAMBA 2.0 and SP5

Al Margolis al at sfex.com
Mon Oct 11 13:48:19 GMT 1999

FYI for people working on this problem:

I have a very similar situation at one of my client's networks and recently
solved it with this same LMHOSTS solution.  The kicker is that in my case
that all the domain controllers are real M$ NT Servers.  We have been
making lots of changes to our network so I am not yet certain what caused
the problem, but my best guess is that it started when we went to multiple
WINS servers.

This does not seem to be much of a problem for computers that have been up
and running for a while (generally NT Workstation SP3) but we were unable
to add new computers to the network (generally NT Workstation SP4) due to
the "could not locate domain controller" preventing us from joining the
domain.  We have had some reports of people having this kind of problem
after coming back from vacation, but I haven't been able to confirm that --
this could imply some kind of WINS reservation expiration problem.

I have only limited access to this network, but would be willing to do
whatever testing / reporting I can if it will help SAMBA PDC development.

Al Margolis       al at sfex.com
The Software Engineering Store
650-952-7672       FAX: -7629