machine accounts

bs at niggard.org bs at niggard.org
Sun Oct 10 12:08:34 GMT 1999

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Angus Robertson wrote:

> Is there anyway to get around having the machine account in /etc/passwd.

I discovered another problem with machine accounts: I want to setup a
samba-pdc (linux) in an existing NT/Win9x network. 1 machine is called
`3z61z3' (and the user doesn't feel like changing it). Where's the
problem? Well, just try `useradd 3z61z3$' ;)...

Soooo.... I see 2 quick solutions here: prefix machine accounts with a
letter (e.g. `M') or introduce yet another map: a machine <->
machine account map, to overwrite the default mapping.

Someone knows better ways of doing this?

Thanx,
bertl.