Corporate Reactions to Linux (fwd)

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Sat Oct 9 22:04:07 GMT 1999

Well Greg, I think that depends entirely on your point of view. As an
individual who is responsible for our own internal corporate network
along with several client networks I would have to disagree with
you. Based on the little info in the article the companies reaction
appeared to me to be sound. They made a short term policy to protect
their network along with a long term policy to follow up on the actual
cause of the problem.

What is missing from the article was a cost analysis. How much did it
cost the company in lost productivity and sales to have their entire
network down? How much will it cost them to hold up implementation of
Linux and Samba until it would be properly tested? I would have to
think that former would far outweigh the later for most medium to large
companies. This would then make it a rather sound financial decision to
hold off on the Linux/Samba combo.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not against either Linux or Samba but
in a corporate environment cost more often then not will be a major
deciding factor on implantation of new technology.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com