Samba randomly deletes my files!

Richard Bleeker richardb at crosswinds.net
Fri Oct 8 21:30:48 GMT 1999

We have been experiencing a major glitch on our SAMBA setup Slackware 4
with various versions of the samba source code.

I have created a directory /home/LOCALdev  with full (0770) permissions for
members
of the UNIX "developers" group (/etc/group)  and have done a "chown -R
developers LOCALdev"
so that they should (technically) all have full access to that directory to
create/delete/edit files
under that directory.

I then added a new share to my /etc/smb.conf - a very plain share

[dev]
    path=/home/LOCALdev
    valid users = mikes, leighm
    read only=no
    writeable=yes
    public=no
    browseable=yes
    create mode=0770

Both "mikes" and "leighm" are defined as members of "developers" in
/etc/group
In the hope that all would work well...

But, Little did I know ......................................

What seems to be happening is that when either of them writes to a file,
that file's mode changes to -rwxr--r--  which then disables the other's
ability to modify the file (defeats the object)

Oh yes, and now for the major glitch...........(sorry if my explaining isn't
too good)

User "leighm" has mapped the [dev] share to drive L: on his WS running NT
server 4 SP3
and opens a dos command prompt and changes to the L: drive .... OK, no
problems

He then changes to a subdirectory of the share eg. L:\apdos  and copies a
whole bunch of source
code files into L:\apdos from his C: drive  ....... OK, still no problems -
a "dir" shows all to have copied O.K.

He then compiles the source code so that MAIN.EXE is created in the current
directory and
runs the MAIN.EXE   --> Oops! Files are now mysteriously disappearing:
MAIN.EXE reports dos error 2 (file not found)  while trying to open a DBF
database file from current directory L:\apdos

So, we exit MAIN.EXE and do a dir....: sure enough, the file - which has
JUST been copied -
*Is Not There*    We try to run MAIN.EXE again and we get "Bad command or
filename"  Why? Because MAIN.EXE has also mysteriously *disappeared*

So we recopy the files from the C: drive and find that quite a few
(sometimes 15!) don't ask if we want to overwrite because - they don't exist

PLEASE HELP ME - THIS IS VERY STRANGE BEHAVIOUR and I am sure that our
systems don't have a virus....I have *just* installed a fresh copy of linux
and samba and all the NT W/stations
are running N-Antivirus with N-LiveUpdate running regularly

Thanks,

Richard Bleeker