SAMBA 2.0 and SP5

Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 17:56:55 GMT 1999

Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk writes:

I dont use lmhosts files but have the PDC running as the WINS server also
maybe I'll try running the WINS server on another machine.

Thanks, good few ideas from a few minutes on the maillist

> However, do you get an   inconsistant "Logon server not available" type message with SP5 wkstns
> and NT server?

I've seen circumstances where NT workstations, regardless of SP,
conveniently "forgets" to read the LMHOSTS file which makes it
complain about "Logon server not available" since my logon server
is on a different subnet. But I can't really say for sure since
I'm using WinDD NIS to allow login authentication using NIS instead.

Jonas