SAMBA 2.0 and SP5

Norman Weathers norman at lithe.uark.edu
Fri Oct 8 16:55:07 GMT 1999

Hey, Everyone!

Well, I am, of course, playing with fire and using the PDC code in
the samba 2.0.5a release (please don't blaze me on this one -grin-).
Currently, it has worked rather well with our 10 NT workstations.
We have roaming profiles working, and in general, people are happy.
BUT.... Lately, we have been having a couple of problems.

First, we have upgraded several of our NT machines to SP5.  Now, we
seem to have inconsistent roaming profile activities.  Those systems
that are still SP4 push and pull their profiles from the server
(a RedHat linux 6.0 server Pentium II 266 with 64 M RAM and plenty
of Hard Drive).  One of our systems will "seemingly" pull the profile
from the server, but conviniently "forget" several links and settings.
Then, if this person moves to another system (with SP5), it pulls a
second profile from somewhere else.  We have even gone in as the
local administrator on this second system and deleted the local profiles
in the c:\winnt\profiles directory.  It still pulls some wierd profile
from somewhere else.  I am just wondering if this is a SP5 problem.

The second problem concerns Powerpoint 97.  Again, this seems to be
more on SP5 machines, but people accessing our public drive cannot
save their Powerpoint files there.  We have checked permissions, even
opening them up completely wide (mode 777), but still nothing.  It seems
to try and make a temp file in the directory that it wants to save the
file to, and then has problems with it.

Should we back our systems down to SP4, or is there something else
that we are missing.  We have a pretty plain smb.conf (included at the
bottom).  Any help would be "greatly" appreciated.

---SMB.CONF---

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = TRIO_DOMAIN
	netbios name = LITHE
	server string = Samba Server
	interfaces = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	passwd program = /bin/echo %u:%n | /usr/sbin/chpasswd
	passwd chat = .
	passwd chat debug = Yes
	log level = 2
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 500
	time server = Yes
	socket options = SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096 TCP_NODELAY
	load printers = No
	logon script = %U.bat
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 65
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	message command = csh -c 'xedit %s;rm %s' &
	level2 oplocks = no
	wide links = No
	dos filetime resolution = Yes
	keepalive = 15
	deadtime = 5
	remote announce = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/TRIO_DOMAIN
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/TRIO_DOMAIN xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/TRIO_DOMAIN
	remote browse sync = yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
#
# Added by Norman Weathers for test purposes to try and fix a Publisher
bug
#
	case sensitive = no
 	default case = lower
 	mangle case = no
 	mangled names = yes
 	preserve case = yes
 	short preserve case = no

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	security mask = 0777
	force security mode = 00
	directory security mask = 0777
	force directory security mode = 00
	browseable = No
	dos filetimes = Yes

[profiles]
	comment = Profiles Share housing all users Roaming Profiles
	path = /export/profiles
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	print ok = Yes
	browseable = No

[netlogon]
	comment = Netlogon Services for UBETS Computer Lab
	path = /export/netlogon

[lp]
	comment = Samba Printer on TRIO-GW Linux Server
	path = /var/spool/samba
	read only = No
	print ok = Yes
	printer name = lp
	oplocks = No
	level2 oplocks = No
	share modes = No

[pub]
	comment = Public Scratch File FULL ACCESS ALLOWED!
	path = /export/pub
	read only = No
	security mask = 0777
	force security mode = 00
	directory security mask = 0777
	force directory security mode = 00
	dos filetimes = Yes

[wp61]
	path = /export/wp61
	read only = No

Norman Weathers
Technology Coordinator ETS
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville

phone: (501) 575-3553 or (501) 575-4344
email: nweathe at comp.uark.edu or norman at lithe.uark.edu

"It's not that I 'prefer' to do this without an NT server.... I
just 'prefer' to do it where it will work..."