Broken Pipe problem?

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Oct 7 13:10:45 GMT 1999

John Rooke wrote:

> When some PC's log on it seems to take an age and sits on
> the NTW splash screen after validating the password with
> the PDC. The following is an extract of the log.neil log
> file that was generated during one such incident.

How many enries are in your smbpasswd file?  Since this
is a linear search, you could be seeing the slowdown
for a user way down in the file.

My experience sort the smbpasswd file as such.

    * all machine accoutns listed first
    * frequent users next
    * any remaining users

of course determining the users to place at the top
is not always easy.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter