Creating a new printer

Tavis Barr tavis at mahler.econ.columbia.edu
Sat Oct 2 02:05:09 GMT 1999

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999 Dave.Stevenson at durham.ac.uk wrote:
>
> *WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*
>
> all this thread only apply to the HEAD branch of Samba. aka
> SAMBA-2.1prealpha.

Thanks for taking the time to spell these out.  I hope you'll indulge me
in a few short requests for clarification.

> In the future I'll move the printer description files from %sambaroot%/lib
> to %sambaroot%/lib/printers as default.
>
> You can already do it by adding to smb.conf:
>
>         nt forms file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers/ntforms.def
>         nt printer driver = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers

What are these files? Is the idea that (after setting these parameters) we
copy our printer drivers from NT to the ~/lib/printers directory?  Should
we do this (in general) by lifting them from
\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86, or somewhere else?

Is the NT forms file some sort of list of printers?  Do we need to create
it ourselves?  If so, what is the format, or where should we copy it from?

> yep. Under samba a printer entry is a share. Under NT a printer is a port.
> So every samba printer shares appear as ports under NT.
>
> A warning here, the [printers] share is not supported right now, you have
> to define all your printers in smb.conf to use them.

Do we do this using already-existing parameters, or is there a new way of
doing it?  Could you give an example of a printer definition?

> > 3/ You have a \\MYSERVER\print$ share on the server with a w32x86 directory
> >    (assuming intel based workstation)
>
> that's the only one supported. I don't have any NT alpha server to check
> that case.

So we create this share in smb.conf?  What parameters should it have
(e.g., writeable? browseable? guest ok?)  I assume the w32x86 subdirectory
contains drivers, like the \winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
directory?  If so, what's the difference between this and the directory
referenced by the "nt printer driver" parameter above?

> This should work with most printer models. I'm aware it's not working with
> the HP laserjet 4, i didn't have time to reproduce it.

Including other LJ4 models (e.g., 4Si, 4L) or just the plain vanilla LJ4?

> - Since NT4 SP5, MS have changed some fields in the rpc code, I haven't
> had time to check that

Have you gotten the above code working on any SP5 machines?

Thanks for your help,
Tavis