Memory Problems

Simon Murcott simonmu at optimation.co.nz
Tue Nov 30 20:45:04 GMT 1999

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Chris Tooley wrote:

   I have a Samba server running on RedHat 6.0 (Samba 2.0.5a).  The server is a
   dual 233 with 192 meg of RAM and it is constantly choking on memory.  It is
   running several other servers (sendmail, apache, mysql, openldap, and Knox's
   Arkeia Backup Server) but if samba isn't running I max out at about 50-58
   meg of memory used, but if smbd and nmbd are running it hits about 185-188
   meg of memory used, with about 45 meg of that being cached memory.  I have
   about 30 Windows 95 workstations, 10 Windows 98, 1 Windows 2000
   Professional, and 2 Windows NT workstations, logging in with
   PlainTextPasswords.  How much memory should this be using and if I need more
   what should I put in the machine.  With only 3 DIMM slots, I don't want to
   have to keep buying memory, I just want to get it and be done.

I have a Solaris 2.6 machine on an Ultra 1 with 128MB of RAM here serving 60
users. It is running sendmail, apache/php3, postgresql, openldap, a few sun
things and samba 2.0.6. No memory problems here.

Maybe it's your platform :P (sorry but I just had to :)

But seriously, have you compiled in mmap support? If so then don't. It might be
worth running configure with no options (except maybe those that set paths if
you like) and give that a go. In you situation I would expect to see about 100MB
of cached memory (don't forget that linux will fill up spare ram with disk
cache).

Regards

Simon Murcott