Samba as PDC and NT-Server in the same (ip) broadcast domain)

Heinrich Rebehn rebehn at comm.uni-bremen.de
Tue Nov 30 10:38:42 GMT 1999

Stephan Lauffer wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> If I understand the docu from samba right, at this time it´s not
> possible to synchronize the SAM of an NT-PDC and the "samba-userdb".
>
> Is it possible to set up an other domain contolled/ managed  only
> by samba in the same broadcast-domain (with the existing NT-Server)
> without problems?
>
> -------------------------
>
> Our network looks like this:
>
> - Class-C Net
> - some NT-Workstations, Linux-Clients, Win9x...
> - NT-Server:    - Wins, Domain authentification for NT-Workst. and Win9x Clients
> - Linux: Big MTA, currently samba set up in a seperate workgroup, security=user
>
> -------------------------
>
> Now, my plan is to enable eache user on the MTA optionally to login in this
> (planned, new) Samba Domain.
>
> It´s not neccesary that the password+user mapping between NT-Server and Samba works.
> It only must be guaranted that the NT-Administrator in our office would not try
> to kill me if I crash down his holy NT-Domain. ;-)))
> Aehhmmm guaranted, that the NT-Domain will not sucks down... ;)
>
> Liebe Gruesse,
>
> Stephan Lauffer
>
> [ Paedagogische Hochschule Freiburg - Systemtechnik - Germany   ]
> [ ZIK Zentrum fuer Informations- und Kommunikationstechnologie  ]
> [ Tel.: 0761 - 682 459                  Mobil: 0172 - 7145 197  ]

We have a similar configuration at our Department.
I set up a Samba PDC for testing purposes (different workgroup as the NT
PDC).
Works without problems, NT PDC and members do not seem to be affected.
I did not try to set up any trust relationships, each WS is configured
either
in the NT domain or in the samba domain, not both. I hope that i can get
rid of the NT PDC in the long run.

Viele Gruesse

Heinrich Rebehn
                        "Have disk - will travel"
University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn at comm.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341