Samba as PDC and NT-Server in the same (ip) broadcast domain)

Stephan Lauffer lauffer at ph-freiburg.de
Fri Nov 26 13:32:13 GMT 1999

Hi all!

If I understand the docu from samba right, at this time it´s not
possible to synchronize the SAM of an NT-PDC and the "samba-userdb".

Is it possible to set up an other domain contolled/ managed  only
by samba in the same broadcast-domain (with the existing NT-Server)
without problems?

-------------------------

Our network looks like this:

- Class-C Net
- some NT-Workstations, Linux-Clients, Win9x...
- NT-Server:	- Wins, Domain authentification for NT-Workst. and Win9x Clients
- Linux: Big MTA, currently samba set up in a seperate workgroup, security=user

-------------------------

Now, my plan is to enable eache user on the MTA optionally to login in this
(planned, new) Samba Domain.

It´s not neccesary that the password+user mapping between NT-Server and Samba works.
It only must be guaranted that the NT-Administrator in our office would not try
to kill me if I crash down his holy NT-Domain. ;-)))
Aehhmmm guaranted, that the NT-Domain will not sucks down... ;)

Liebe Gruesse,

Stephan Lauffer

[ Paedagogische Hochschule Freiburg - Systemtechnik - Germany   ]
[ ZIK Zentrum fuer Informations- und Kommunikationstechnologie  ]
[ Tel.: 0761 - 682 459		        Mobil: 0172 - 7145 197  ]