Samba Segfault on NT Login when /etc/group contains user not in /etc/passwd or .../smbpasswd

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Nov 25 16:03:20 GMT 1999

Alex Satrapa wrote:

> It appears that smbd will segfault (why?) when a system user is present
> in a /etc/group group, but not in /etc/passwd. The same is not true for
> a non-system user. As a side effect of this bug, I've cleaned up our
> /etc/group file, so I guess I'm a little thankful.

Nice work.  I remember this bug.  Been there for a while.  If I
remember correctly (now that you reminded me), the problem is because
of a NULL pointer returned when trying to setup group membership
and executing a getpwnam() call on members of group in /etc/qroup.
Therefore if you lookup a nonexistent account, we don;t check the
return value.  My memory is fuzzy here, and to be honest, I'm not
sure I remember why I didn;t fix this when I found it.  Maybe
because the group code was so complex in the 2.1 code.

I should go back and look at this again.
Nice work.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter