PDC and Policies

Martin Hofbauer mh at bacher.at
Tue Nov 23 17:57:11 GMT 1999

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Sellaro wrote:

> Hi there, folks.
>
> Sorry if this is a "look-at-FAQ" question, but I realy didn't find
> anything about setting up NT Policies using a Samba as PDC. I mean, I
> didn't find clear resources about setting up policies.

This problem does not exist because you are using SAMBA, it it a general
NT configation issue.

> My questions are:
>
> 1. Since I don't have a NT Server running in my network, how do I edit the
> policies?
>
> 2. I've edited a set of policies using a box out of my network (with
> Policy Editor) and saved it as NTPolicy.pol. I've also transfered that
> file to my Samba PDC and I've putted it in netlogon share. But... nothing.
> I realy suspect that I cannot use Policy editor from other machines,
> right?
>
> 3. If possible, a ste-by-step guide (did anyone of you thought about a PDC
> Howto?);

You are ok using the NT policy editor for NT systems,

but you have to save the file with the default name: ntconfig.pol in the
NETLOGON Share or set the name explicit in the
registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update\UpdateMode    0x02
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update\NetworkPath  "NAME"

e.g. for "NAME"

"%logonserver%\netlogon\siteA.pol"

> Thnak you in advance.
>
> --
> Sellaro
>
> Laboratorio do Mestrado em Ciencia da Computacao
> Network Administrator - Departamento de Computacao - UFC
>
> PGP Key Available Upon Request

Martin Hofbauer                                       IT-Consulting
phone : +43 (1) 60 126-34                   Bacher Systems EDV GmbH
fax   : +43 (1) 60 126-4                         Wienerbergstr. 11B
e-mail: mh at bacher.at                         A-1101 Vienna, Austria