Problems with samba as PDC

Michael Glauche mg at plum.de
Thu Nov 18 17:52:58 GMT 1999

Mark Szlaga wrote:

> Greetings,
>    Well I think the title pretty much sums it up...  But here goes
>
> Short problem: Logins work, wins works, browsing works, accessing shares
> fails.
>
> Long problem: After the machine is logged on, I cannot seem to access any
> shares on the server.  Samba is configured to be a primary domain
> controller as far as I can tell.  The one and only thing that puzzles me is
> the fact that I keep getting the following messages about every 15-30
> seconds:
>
> [1999/11/18 11:39:37, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_password_lock(119)
>   trust_password_lock: cannot open file /etc/TROY_CCT.SLIMJIM.mac - Error
> was No
>  such file or directory.
> [1999/11/18 11:39:37, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_get_passwd(288)
>   domain_client_validate: unable to open the machine account password file
> for m
> achine SLIMJIM in domain TROY_CCT.
>
> Everything I have read tells me to do the command "smbpassword -j TROY_CCT"
> but that results in:

Uhm ... smbpasswd -j means "join Domain" .. that explains the folowing
error ...

> modify_trust_password: Machine SLIMJIM is one of our addresses. Cannot add
> to ourselves.
> 1999/11/18 12:23:42 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
> password for domain TROY_CCT.
> Unable to join domain TROY_CCT.

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
    security = domain
# Use password server option only with security = server
   password server = slimjim

here is your problem. For samba in PDC mode this should be :
security = user
password server =

regards,
   Michael

--
"In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to
them."