Win2K joining a Samba domain

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Nov 15 22:26:41 GMT 1999

OK,

more info.  Perhaps useless.

When I try to become a member of the Samba domain on Win2k, it asks me for
a username and password to use.  It says that this account must have
permission to join the domain.

In my smbpasswd file I have at least the following two accounts:

root, who only has the U attribute assiciated with it,
rsharpe, who has both the U and W attributes.

If I specify root and the root passwd, then I quickly get a message back
saying that the specified net password is not correct,

while, if I speciy rsharpe, then after a long while I get a message back
that the domain cannot be found.

HTH.

Have to start writing that chapter soon.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course