Win2000 Pro RC2 can't find the Domain controller

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Nov 15 05:39:46 GMT 1999

At 10:29 PM 11/15/99 +1100, Matt Chapman <matty at cifs.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 10:21:28PM +1100, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>>
>> Modified the smbpasswd file to give an account W access, but got a message
>> back saying The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
>> contacted.
>>
>> Now to look at the NetMon trace to see what the problem was.
>
>Cool! Now look for these things:
>
> (i) It's sending an SMBwrite instead of SMBwriteX. I added this in 2.0
>     but haven't merged it into HEAD yet.
>
>(ii) It's calling an RPC with a high opcode (one of the Win2k ones) and
>     we are returning no data where we should be indicating an RPC fault.

OK, one step closer.  I fixed the GETDC response and I now get:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "sambanet":

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

Wonder what the NetMon trace shows ...

OK, here is what NetMon shows ...

Win2000 did an NT create & X on lsarpc

Then it failed on the write of an RPC BIND.  Error is Network access denied.

Wonder what that means ...

>	Matt

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course