Win2000 Pro RC2 can't find the Domain controller

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Nov 15 05:07:02 GMT 1999

At 10:29 PM 11/15/99 +1100, Matt Chapman <matty at cifs.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 10:21:28PM +1100, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>>
>> Modified the smbpasswd file to give an account W access, but got a message
>> back saying The specified domain either does not exist or could not be
>> contacted.
>>
>> Now to look at the NetMon trace to see what the problem was.
>
>Cool! Now look for these things:
>
> (i) It's sending an SMBwrite instead of SMBwriteX. I added this in 2.0
>     but haven't merged it into HEAD yet.
>
>(ii) It's calling an RPC with a high opcode (one of the Win2k ones) and
>     we are returning no data where we should be indicating an RPC fault.

Hmmm, before that, we are responding to the GETDC wrongly.  We do not
notice that the mailslot is \MAILSLOT\NET\NETLOGON rather than
\MAILSLOT\NET\NTLOGON so we truncate the response, which probably confuses
Win2000.

I have added a check for an NT Version of 0x0B to make sure we send the
correct response.

We will see what that does.

>	Matt

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course