NT PDC & Samba

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Fri Nov 12 14:48:44 GMT 1999

Mike Westkamper wrote:

> Kevin, that did the trick!
>
> With one domain user I can read/write the directory.
> Now to test some more.
>
> Will this be the method then for all future shares on the server...
>
> 1. make the directory using mkdir while logged on as root
> 2. chmod the directory to 1777
> 3. set up the share with samba

1 & 3 certainly are, but 1777 is only good for world-writable
shares.  As Peter suggests, if you had corresponding Unix
groups, you then have GIDs for your NT groups.  This allows
you to use 'chgrp' to setup group-writable only areas (and
perhaps give others only read access?).  Of course, I'm not
up on the ACL support, which may be better still.

Read up on 'chmod', 'chown', 'chgrp', and what the 'ls -l'
display's permissions information means.  I think that
will clarify a lot for you.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com