Connection problems with WinNT/95

Michael Glauche mg at plum.de
Fri Nov 12 01:03:07 GMT 1999

Türck, Clemens wrote:

> On Linux SUSE 6.0 I have installed Samba to put some gigabytes of files from
> Linux onto a WindowsNT workstation.
> Both computers are in the network of our company, i.e. the same domain
> (class C net, Token Ring, Olicom PCI 16/4 Adapters).
>
> I've managed to connect to the Samba server with WindowsNT but the
> connection is very slow and unstable (breaks down frequently as I can see in
> "/var/log/log.smb"), biggest problems seem to be when listing directory
> contents.
>
> I have the similar problems when trying to retrieve the files via ftp
> (proftp, port 21), with WindowsNT/95.
>
> Someone told me special ports have to be set for NT-Linux connectivity, does
> that help, and how do I do that?
> Or could the problem be completely different?

No .. if FTP is unreliable, then something is wrong with your setup.
As you are using token ring, (which is not that common) I would guess
its a linux driver bug. Does the linux kernel print any network errors ?
what does ifconfig say ?

> I have added the global section of my smb.conf, but I think it's not a
> problem of Samba
> (it looks a little messy as I've edited it often, trying to get the right
> configuration...)

<snip>

Since you say, that ftp has simmilar symtoms I doubt the problem is
related
to samba.

regards,
   Michael