mksmbpasswd

Geoffrey Lee snail_talk at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 07:36:33 GMT 1999

Hello david bear and hello all,

Seems that smbpassword --> unix password sync would do you good. Just hack
the smb.conf file for sync unix password when the smbpassword is changed.
You must also specify the password program (absolute path *must* be given!!)
and the password chat. Then you can instruct your users to use smbpasswd to
change their passwords, instead of passwd.

Btw all, I'm having a problem with the password sync. I can't seem to get it
right. I have already enabled the lines in my smb.conf file, and yet when I
tried to change m password with smbpasswd  when I'm logged in as a non-root
user, it says that I've entered a bad password. I think this is a problem
with my password chat line. This is the output I get when I change the
password with passwd for root :

New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
Passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully

And for a non-root user :

Changing password for $USERNAME
(current) UNIX password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
Passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully

My password chat line is like this:

....=*New*UNIX*password:* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password:* %n\n

what could be wrong?