adding samba-2.1prealpha as a domain member to samba-2.0.5a?

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Tue Nov 9 10:00:02 GMT 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, David Bannon wrote:

> At 09:19 PM 08/11/1999 +1100, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> >Hello out there,
> >... but the 2.1 refuses to become
> >a domain member. It (smbpasswd -j DOMAIN) complains about beeing unable to
> >connect to port 445 on the PDC (which is true, the port is not bound).
> >

> That message does not necessarily mean things failed. Future plans involve
> using port 445 and smbpasswd is trying it first, failing and reverting to
> the 'old' port. Look a bit deeper into your logs and see what else is
> happening.

You're right. It's not exactly that samba cannot connect to port 445, it
fails in get_domain_sids(), the last line in the log is:

  ERROR: Samba cannot obtain PDC SID from PDC(s) nobbi.

Well, I'll see if I get the beast installed on the PDC. After all it's a
toy machine, so I don't really bother what happens to the domain ;-)

Thanks for the help.

--
Two OS engineers facing a petri net chart:
        "dead lock in four moves!"