[CVS latest] Recent strangeness with Samba PDC

Tad Kollar tkollar at lerc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 8 19:38:09 GMT 1999

I've been using the PDC stuff since August with few problems. However,
last week when I updated my local source copy (I think it was Monday),
my NT workstations w/ domain accounts started seeing this error:

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account
is incorrect.

After fiddling with it for awhile I thought no problem, I'll just update
from an earlier date and try it again later... I took it all the way back
to October 1st, but the error was still there.

I figured I must have screwed up a config file, so I restored everything
from a system backup - the binaries, smb.conf, SID file, etc. But the error
still doesn't go away. Note that on one system I tried re-adding it to the
domain, which worked fine, but when it rebooted it still had the error.

So I'm baffled... I can only think that its a WINS thing, because
everything on my server is back to the way it was before the
problem appeared. Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with WINS and don't have
control of the WINS server.

In the meantime I'm using 2.0.5 (the error doesn't show up), which gives
people access to their files and printers, but for people who logon to
the domain its using the wrong profile. Plus of course no group stuff...

I'm not complaining or anything, just wondering if anyone knows what
could be causing this... smb.conf globals below...

TIA,
Tad

# smb.conf
# Note: addresses/names changed to protect the innocent
# Global parameters
        workgroup = MY_DOMAIN
        netbios name = MY_SERVER
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
        nt printer driver = /usr/local/samba/lib/nt_printers
        local group map = /usr/local/samba/lib/localgroup.map
        domain group map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domaingroup.map
        builtin group map = /usr/local/samba/lib/builtingroup.map
        domain user map = /usr/local/samba/lib/domainuser.map
        logon path =
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = True
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = xxx.xx.xxx.xx
        unix realname = Yes
        admin users = root
        invalid users = root
        printing = lprng
        print command = lpr -h -r -P %p %s
        lppause command = lpc hold %p %j
        lpresume command = lpc release %p %j
        queuepause command = lpc stop %p
        queueresume command = lpc start %p
        printer driver location = \\MY_SERVER\PRINTER$

Thaddeus J. Kollar
Integral Systems, Inc.
NASA John H. Glenn Research Center, M/S 142-2