Large number of users (was: Cannot add machine with latest CVS)

Otto otto3 at home.com
Mon May 31 01:48:17 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Joachim Kupke <joachim at kupke.za.net
> Could this be automated somehow? Computer names could be generated quite
> simply from the IP address here, and I would love to deploy the same NT
> after some application installations as well (where updating the computer
> name on every WS might result in some ugly work -- can renaming a WS be
> done at all after having joined the domain?).

No it can't. Renaming the WS will require re-joining the domain, since it's
a different WS. MS does have a tool available, which would do what you're
looking for. Here's some quote from the System Partition deployment guide:
"The System Preparation tool is used to prepare the image so that new
systems onto which images will be copied receive their own unique security
ID, or SID. Windows NT Workstation 4.0 requires that each PC must have its
own unique security ID."
Here's a link for more info (might be in two lines):

http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/Basics/WhitePapers.asp?site=ntw&custa
rea=bus&OpenMenu=ProdBasic&HighlightedItem=White+Papers

Otto