Browsing problems with Samba server as a local browser

Vlad Nicolaescu Vlad.Nicolaescu at Matrox.COM
Thu May 27 21:26:03 GMT 1999

Hi all,

I have a Samba server that acts as a local master browser on one of
my subnets (subnet A). The domain master browser is the NT PDC (I have
an NT domain). The samba machine also acts as the router for subnet A.

  ----subnet A-----
   _______|_______
   | Samba Server|
   -------|-------

    other subnets
      ____|____
      |router |
      ---------

     WINS, PDC

The problem I have is that all PCs in subnet A (NT workstations) only
see their subnet in Network Neighborhood. I have checked the browse.dat
file and only the machines in subnet A are listed. The Samba server is
binded only to the interface on subnet A. The error message I'm getting
in the log.nmb file is:

----
Searching for DOM ant at *PDC_IP_ADDRESS*
response from *WINS_IP_ADDRESS*. expected on subnet *SUBNET A*. hmm.
response for DOMAIN(1b) from *WINS_IP_ADDRESS* (bcast=No)
Name query response from *WINS_IP_ADDRESS*. expected on subnet *SUBNET A*.
hmm.
response for DOMAIN(1b) from *WINS_IP_ADDRESS* (bcast=No)
Name query No 0x1d name type in interpret_node_status()
Removing dead netbios entry for *WINS_IP_ADDRESS* DOMAIN(1b) (num_msgs=1)
Removing dead netbios entry for *WINS_IP_ADDRESS* DOMAIN(1b) (num_msgs=1)
----

The Samba server is registered correctly in the WINS server and is actually
the local master browser on subnet A. All new machines register with it
are able to browse the local subnet. The network itself works since users
are able to ping and map drives on other servers. They can also find the
servers through Start->Find->Computer.

My Samba Server is the only  one listed in the PDC's browse list. The other
machines on Subnet A aren't. So there is no browse list replication between
the Samba server and the PDC.

Any help would be appreciated. The Samba version I'm running is  1.9.16p11
Vlad Nicolaescu
Administrateur des systemes NT
Systemes Electroniques Matrox Ltee
Tel : (514) 822-6000 ext 7672		e-mail : vnicolae at matrox.com