Automated Logon scripts [long listing] plain text resend.

Chip Spencer ma_spencer at lgca.org
Thu May 27 14:40:18 GMT 1999

Hi,

I am trying to implement automated logon scripts. Based on the users primary
group different drive mappings are used. i essentially have two primary
groups based on job roles ane user groups that are classroom based. I.e.,
admin for administrators, teachers for teachers, and the classroom groups
are the building abbreviation+classroom number (rbe29, rbe2, etc.) I need
automated logon scripts because I don't  want to hand edit 600+ individual
logon scripts for the school district. I used the sample script in John
Blair's book as a starting point. I am just getting started with Perl, so be
gentle if I've made a stupid programming error. What is happening is when a
user logs onto the samba server, an entry is made in /var/log/netlogon.log
stating the username, machine, and group info. Then what is supposed to
happen is the logon script is to be written with the correct drive mappings
for that group. There is a root prexec statement in the [NETLOGON] section
of my smb.conf file that passes %U %m %G to the perl script. So the line
reads:

......<snip>
    [NETLOGON]
           root preexec = /usr/bin/makelogonscript %U %m %G
......<snip>

here is the perl script "makelogonscript"

#!/usr/bin/perl

#

# Automated logon scripts. Logs user to server. Then determines what group

# the user belongs to. Sets up the net drives acoordingly.

#

($sec, $min, $hour, $mday, $mon, $year, $wday, $yday, $isdst) =
localtime(time);

$month = ('Jan', 'Feb', 'Mar', 'Apr', 'May', 'Jun', 'Jul', 'Sep', 'Oct',
'Nov', 'Dec') [$mon];

open LOG, ">>/var/log/netlogon.log";

print LOG "$month $mday $hour:$min:$sec $ARGV[0] logged into $ARGV[1]\n";

print LOG "User: $ARGV[0] - Machine: $ARGV[1] - Group: $ARGV[2]\n";

close LOG;

open LOGON, ">/usr/local/samba/netlogon/$ARGV[0].bat";

#determine the user's group and setup net drives

if ($ARGV[2] = "admin") {

# print LOGON "@echo off \r\n";

print LOGON ("NET USE H: \\\\RBE\\$ARGV[0]\r\n");

print LOGON ("NET USE P: \\\\RBE\\PUBLIC\r\n");

close LOGON;

} elsif ($ARGV[2] = "teachers") {

# print LOGON "@echo off\r\n";

print LOGON ("NET USE H: \\\\RBE\\$ARGV[0]\r\n");

print LOGON ("NET USE P: \\\\RBE\\PUBLIC\r\n");

close LOGON;

} else {

# print LOGON "@echo off\r\n";

print LOGON ("NET USE S: \\\\RBE\\$ARGV[0]\r\n");

print LOGON ("NET USE P: \\\\RBE\\students\r\n");

close LOGON;

}

now, with me being new to perl, could someone help me debug this code and
point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Chip Spencer

Madison Local School district