security

2face lau-lau at unforgettable.com
Wed May 26 21:28:18 GMT 1999

Hi!
I don't know if you've already gotten help, but even if you're trying to
utilize the domainserver capabilities of Samba, you _MUST_ set it to
user, DOMAIN is only when you're trying to JOIN an already existing
domain. From what I gather of your mail, you're trying to get Samba to
'emulate' a NT server. But if you're trying to JOIN a domain, you set
PASSWORD SERVER = <the NT server's netBIOS name>.

here comes the snipps:

from the smb.conf(8) man page
"security=domain"
<<This mode will only work correctly if smbpasswd has been used to add
this machine into a Windows NT Domain. It expects the "encrypted
passwords" parameter to be set to "true". In this mode Samba will try to
validate the username/password by PASSING it to a Windows NT Primary or
Backup Domain Controller, in exactly the same way that a Windows NT
Server would do.>>

Hope this will help

/Tobias
"Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do
for you"
anonymous