Login to domains

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Mon May 24 06:38:59 GMT 1999

At 02:03 PM 24/05/1999 +1000, Matthew Enger wrote:
>Hello,
>	At school we run a samba server (2.0.4b) providing domain logins
>for approx 150 computers. Where we are having a problem.
>
>	When a student comes to login, they can login bypass the domain
>login secuirty by loging in as anyone with any password as long as the
>domain is not the domain controled by the domain controler.

Are you using WinNT or Win95on the client computers ? It is possible but
awkard to make the W95 machines secure. NT is by its nature secure.

If you are using Win95 have a look back through the archives, there was a
pretty comprehensive discussion on the subject a month or so ago. But in my
opinion (don't start again!) the only practical way to make a secure system
is to use WinNT.

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au