Problems connecting via NT 4.0 SP 4

Adrian Goins monachus at dimensional.com
Sun May 23 06:54:22 GMT 1999

Quoting Seth Stone (pepper at wtlug.org):
>   are you sure it's not lmhosts on Win9X too?  My understanding was:
>
>   hosts = hostname to ip (overriding DNS/NIS resolution)
>           same as *nix basically
>
>   lmhosts = NetBIOS name to ip (overriding Windows resoluion)

i may be incorrect in this, so i'm prepared for countering opinions...
but if i recall my past experience it indicated that moving lmhosts.sam to
lmhosts did not work on Win9x - it had to be renamed to hosts in order to
be recognized.

--
Adrian Goins
NetOps Director

---
Adrian Goins           | D i m e n s i o n a l   C o m m u n i c a t i o n s |
monachus at dim.com       | DSL/V90/K56flex/V34/ISDN/Frame/T1/T3 starts @$25/mo |
303.285.INET voice     |  http://www.dimensional.com/  info at dimensional.com  |
888.3.DIMCOM tollfree  |  Denver * Boulder * Longmont * Bailey * CO Springs  |