Problems connecting via NT 4.0 SP 4

Adrian Goins monachus at dimensional.com
Fri May 21 23:21:51 GMT 1999

Quoting Melissa M. Thrush (mmt4q at ee.virginia.edu):
> Not sure, but I've had this error message on NT machines when I
> don't type in the entire hostname:
>
> 	net use s:\\host.ee.virginia.edu\sharename
>
> Win95 machines don't like the entire hostname and will only accept:
>
> 	net use s:\\host\sharename

it's always helpful to have an lmhosts file on the Windoze box to help the
poor thing figure things out.  on Win95/98 this file is
%SYSTEMROOT%\hosts, and on NT4 the file is
%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.  simply putting an entry in
like the following will help out immensely:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx     host     #PRE  #DOM:DOMAIN

ex:

192.168.0.1	  sambapdc	#PRE  #DOM:MYDOMAIN

this will preload the sambapdc=>192.168.0.1 reference in the NetBIOS
namespace.

--
Adrian Goins
NetOps Director

---
Adrian Goins           | D i m e n s i o n a l   C o m m u n i c a t i o n s |
monachus at dim.com       | DSL/V90/K56flex/V34/ISDN/Frame/T1/T3 starts @$25/mo |
303.285.INET voice     |  http://www.dimensional.com/  info at dimensional.com  |
888.3.DIMCOM tollfree  |  Denver * Boulder * Longmont * Bailey * CO Springs  |