Problems with smbpasswd -a -m wsname$

Michael Glauche mg at plum.de
Fri May 21 12:30:49 GMT 1999

Tomek Jarosinski schrieb:

> I compiled and installed last sambacvs. I created smbpasswd, and now i
> would like to add machine accounts. File smbpasswd looks like this:
> #
> # SMB password file.
> #
> root:0:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
> ]:LCT-00000000:Super-User
> daemon:1:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
> ]:LCT-00000000:
> tomek:2005:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
> ]:LCT-00000000:T.Jarosinski
> ppmc02$:802:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
> ]:LCT-00000000:NT Workstation
> ppmc03$:803:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
> ]:LCT-00000000:NT Workstation
> ppmc04$:804:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
> ]:LCT-00000000:NT Workstation
>
> (I have much more users, but this is only the part of
> /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd)
> NOw i am trying to add ntws with a command:
>
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -m -a  ppmc02$
>
> and i am getting this errors:
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd:
> root:0:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U:
> command not found
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd:
> daemon:1:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U:
> command not found
> /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd:
> bin:2:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U:
> command not found

Oops .. I think you are mixing the smbpasswd User DB and the programm
smbpasswd
Perhaps swat did something bad ? try finding a smbpasswd that is about
600 k or so
big, not only a few bytes. I try to keep all my config stuff in /etc,
including the smbpasswd user db. Where does the smb passwd file in your
smb.conf point to ?

regards,
   Michael

--