Cannot Browse the Network

Matthias Wächter matthias at waechter.wol.at
Fri May 21 05:24:14 GMT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Christoph wrote:

> I have a couple of machines that cannot see the workgroup, BETA, from the
> network neighborhood.  When I try to browse this list from my NT4 SP4
> machine, I get the following logged into log.nmb:
[cut]
> The machine CHRISTOPH is on a separate subnet from the rest of the
> network.  The NT Machine sits by itself on the 10.0.13. subnet with only
> the Linux Samba server on it.  The Samba server also serves the 192.168.
> subnet.  I have most of these machines using WINS with the Samba box as the
> server.  Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
>
> I also have included my smb.conf...
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
> # from christoph.betaphi.org (10.0.13.19)

first: don't use official domain names for private addresses. use domain
.betaphi instead of .betaphi.org

> # Date: 1999/05/18 22:31:14
>
> # Global parameters
>          workgroup = BETA
>          netbios name = BETAPHI
>          netbios aliases = server
>          server string = %h Fileshare by Christoph. Version %v
>          interfaces = 192.168.255.254/255.255.0.0 10.0.13.1/255.255.255.0
> 24.1.15.186/255.255.248.0

this is a very strange subnetting.

>          security = DOMAIN

Don't use DOMAIN security unless you validate against another domain
server. security = USER is needed for standalone/PDC operation.

Try "testparm" and see its output.

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
Bunt ist das Dasein und granatenstark. Und: Volle Kanne, Hoschis!
                         aus: "Bill und Teds verrückte Reise durch die Zeit"