smbpasswd from www...

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Thu May 20 23:07:12 GMT 1999

At 05:21 AM 21/05/1999 +1000, Todd Stiers wrote:
>Hi,
>
>The problem is smbpasswd won't run suid, and it fails to run
>suid from another script, putting a huge wrench in my scheme.

This goes back to when some decisions to change the way smbpasswd worked
were made. The old way required suid, under the new way it was a security
risk. So they added that check to make sure everyone realised the difference.

The risk is having smbpasswd (the binary) suid, there is no particular
problem with calling it from suid programme. Just comment it out without
consern.

David

David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au