Can't join domain completely

Alfredo Ramos ralf at is.rice.edu
Thu May 20 16:52:34 GMT 1999

I'm having problems joining NT workstations to my samba domain. I have
performed all the steps outlined in the various documents provided with
the distribution: added the machine name to the smbpasswd file, checked
inconsistent subnet masks, etc., etc. I'm able to join the domain; the NT
workstation gives me the "Wellcome to SAMBA domain" message. But the only
way I can login to the domain is by first loging in locally to the NT
workstation, openning Network Neighborhood, and then clicking on the samba
server icon. At this time the NT workstation opens a login dialog. I type
a valid user name and password, this info is sent to the samba box, it is
validated, and I am allowed in.

When I try to bypass the local login process, that is, by pressing
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I see the three entries: User id and password fields, and
the domain selection box with the appropriate entries.  But samba refuses
to authenticate the login attempt with the message "The system can not log
you on to this domain because the system's computer account in its primary
domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect."

I am running smbd version 2.1.0-prealpha. Is there something that I am not
doing that is causing samba to refuse the login attempts?

Help!

Best regards;

Al.

PS: Please CC me on your reply. I am not a member of the FAQ list.
Thank you.

                                                  | Alfredo Ramos
This space available for rent.                    | New Media & Student Computing
Get your product moving. Advertise here!          | Rice University.