.SID (ie no machine name)

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Thu May 20 04:42:28 GMT 1999

Hmm..

Does this sound familiar to anyone, I know I am doing something wrong but
cannot see what.

I just built a new RH5.2 box and put the head cvs on it. However it fails
in a number of ways, the most obvious being that the sid in private is just
.SID not as it should be TRILLION.SID . I have searched logs for a hint
without success, there is plenty of mentions of TRILLION there. Hostname is
correct. I know its not a samba bug because I can even bring binaries over
from an essencially similar machine and still show the same problem.

Other symptoms :
* drops core when adding a user with smbpasswd.
* tells me it cannot find a user (that I know is there) when changing
  passwd with smbpasswd.
* wont offer even a version number, let alone a share to others browsing.

This is all with simplest possible smb.conf, not PDC, only homes, no
performance tweeks etc.

In desperation I got a copy of version 204 (ie non PDC) and it works fine.

Explain that ! (please).

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au